The significance of skin problems is very likely in Patients with thyroid disease. The signs of an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) is quite different from those of an overactive thyroid (Hyperthyroidism). In Ayurveda, there are many herbs and herbal remedies available for the cure of thyroid problems in a natural way.
The amount of moisture in the skin is affected with the production of two hormones (triiodothyronine and thyroxine) by a thyroid gland. These hormones influence your body’s metabolism, temperature, and blood, heart and nervous system functions that indirectly affect the skin. If the thyroid secretes too much or too little of these hormones, it can cause bothersome changes to the skin’s overall health and texture.
Patients with hypothyroidism will have a dry skin which may then develop the risk for many types of dermatitis. Asteatotic Eczema is a condition on the skin which will leave your skin dry, itchy and with cracks. It is recommended that anyone suffering from any kind of thyroid problems should consult a doctor before trying out these herbs in Ayurveda. Treating the underlying cause of hypothyroidism helps in the cure of problems caused to skin and hair.
Ayurveda Herbal Remedies for Hypothyroidism
Ashwagandha or Withania Somnifera (poison gooseberry, or winter cherry) is of Indian origin and is used for medicinal purpose in Ayurveda. The anti-oxidising properties of Ashwagandha help in the cure of low thyroid hormones.
Herbal benefits of Ashwagandha
- Relieves frequent fatigue problems and the inability to concentrate
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Reduces thyroid inflammation
- Boost immune system
- Black Walnut:
A native of North America, Black Walnut is a species of the Walnut family.
Herbal Benefits of Black Walnut
- Having great properties of Magnesium, Black Walnut promote the healthy function of the Thyroid.
Bacopa also known as Waterhyssop, Brahma is a herb found in Australia, Europe, India, Asia, North and South America. It contains the neuroprotective properties that act as a tonic for neurological purposes.
Medicinal Benefits of Bacopa
- Helps in enhancing the memory
- Improve concentration (alleviates the inability for mental focus due to hypothyroidism)
- Promotes anti-oxidation process in the body
Bugleweed or Lycopus Europaeus and also known as Carpenter’s herb, green archangel, Paul’s betony and wolf foot is a herbal plant usually found in the wet regions. Not recommended for use in lactating or pregnant women.
Medicinal Benefits of Bugleweed
- Helps in treating heavy menstrual flow, cough and nosebleeds
- Used as a sedative and an astringent
- Commonly used to treat thyroid conditions
- Eleuthero Plant:
This herbal plant can be used for treating both the hypo and hyperthyroid patients.
- Eleuthero acts as an adaptogen to help body cope with stress and to
- Enhance our body’s immune system
The preventive nature of the Flaxseed by including it in our diet helps in preventing hypothyroidism.
Medicinal Benefits of Flaxseed:
- It contains high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids which help in the production of thyroid hormones.
Also known as Bdellium or Guggal, it contains properties which will help in enhancing the thyroid function. However taken without an expert doctor’s guidance will have adverse side effects as that of birth control pills and other hormone pills
- Lemon Balm
Being a member of the mint family, Lemon balm helps in regulating Thyroid.
Medicinal Benefits of Lemon Balm
- Regulate and stabilise thyroid glands
With a centuries-old usage to claim, Liquorice root was used for medicinal benefits. It is also known as a sweet root, mostly for its use as a sweetener in candies and beverages.
Medicinal Benefits of Liquorice:
- Balances the production of thyroid hormones
- Helps in the function of thyroid glands
- The presence of triterpenoid glycyrrhetinic acid help prevents the development of thyroid cancer cells.
These herbs can help you not only to heal thyroid problems but also give you skin and hair care.