Dry skin looks boring and life less due to lack of moisture. Wrinkles increase at an early age due to stretched dryness of skin. Dry, irregular and wrinkle skin provides an aged appearance. Excess drying of skin leads to dry eczema.
For these problems you should give proper care to increase the moisture level of skin and prevent drying. Soft, smooth and wrinkle free skin gives young and healthy look.
Main causes of dry skin:
Some of them have soft and smooth skin because of oil glands found below the skin. The skin becomes dry when these glands fail to provide sufficient lubrication to keep the skin soft and smooth. Some of the causes are:
- Dry skin condition may happen because of genetic factors.
- The cold, dry weather of winter takes about drying of skin making it scaly. Lack of enough moisture outdoors also leads to dry skin. Indoor heating removes the traces of moisture and aggravates dryness of skin. So in winter the skin becomes exceedingly dry.
- Dry skin condition may happen from nutritional deficiencies due to poor diet.
- Unhealthy practice like exposure to extreme weather conditions, take bathing in hot water for a long time using harsh soaps, swimming in chlorinated water, chemicals and insensitive cosmetics.
- Few basic diseases like hypothyroidism, diabetes, eczema, seborrhea may also lead to dry skin.
- Dry skin may occur as an effect of tablets like diuretics, antihistamines and antispasmodic.
Ayurveda tips for dry skin condition:
- Keep yourself hot in dry cold climates.
- Gently massage whole body with body massage oil which is filled with vata balancing herbs.
- Avoid sitting near fire place.
- Avoid decayed, over fried and dry food.
- Always eat fresh warm food with little fat like ghee or olive oil.
- Include sour and salty food in diet.
- Sweet juicy fruits are optional.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of warm water every day. (Do not drink cold water as it increases vata)
Home remedies for dry skin:
- Take egg yolk, rose water lime juice, olive oil and orange juice (1 tea spoon each) and mix it thoroughly. Apply this mixture gently on your face in morning and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Take honey, egg, olive oil and rose water as face pack and mix it well works. Then apply on your face, it is very well for dry skin.
- Abundantly apply gentle herbal moisturizer all over your body.
- Massage your body with herbal oil filled with vata balancing herbs, twice in a week.
- Increase the moisture level of skin by applying natural herbal gel which contains aloe vera and essential oils.
- Use herbal tea which contains vata balancing herbs regularly.
- Calendula contains natural flavanoids and oils that are important for healthy skin. Gather the petals of the flower and produce a fine paste out of it, before applying it on your skin. Leave it until it dries. You can then wash your face with hot water. Regular practice of this mixture will leave your skin glowing.
- Papaya contains vitamin A which is a skin protector that helps to avoid your skin from excessive dryness. You can use ripened papaya as a scrub. Make a pulp out of the ripened fruit and massage it into your skin in gently circular movements.
- The mixture of banana and honey has been used to treat dry and scaly skin. Mix 1 spoon of raw honey with two spoons of mature banana and apply it on your skin. Leave it for 10 or 15 minutes before washing it off. Regular practice of this mixture will give smoother skin in just a few weeks.
- Mix the barley flour with turmeric powder and mustard oil is also a good medicine for dry skin treatment. This can be used as a scrub and you can apply it onto your skin using your fingers. This scrub gently smooths your skin, healthy and strong skin that will win you many compliments.
Try these remedies in your home and watch the changes.